Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Apples

by Beryl

in Appetizers & Sides,Salad,Vegetables

Brussel sprouts

My cousin Kathryn called last week looking for Thanksgiving ideas, so this post is for her. I’ll be making these sprouts next Thursday, along with this pie. Brussel sprouts When I made this last night, we ate it warm, but for thanksgiving I will prepare it a couple hours before dinner and serve it as a room temperature salad (if only because next week there will be 10 people vying for very limited stove space and trying to get a hot dish to the table is a fast way to create a lot of anxiety – I think right around crunch time, I’ll step out of the kitchen with a glass of wine and leave the hot dishes to others). Because the leaves are removed (tedious but character building) from their small head and cooked only briefly, they maintain their shape without getting limp or soggy and are a bit more like a fresh salad than cooked greens. Talley hasn’t always liked the brussels sprout dishes I’ve prepared, neither have I for that matter, but this one we both really liked.

Brussel sprouts

Brussel sprouts

Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Apples

• 2 slices of thick cut bacon, diced
  • 1/2-3/4 cup diced apple (or turnip)
  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 2 Tablespoons minced shallot
  • 1 1/2 pounds large brussels sprouts, trimmed, leaves separated from cores (about 8 cups), cores discarded
  • 3/4 cup shelled unsalted natural pistachios, hazel nuts or almonds
  • A few generous squeezes of fresh lemon juice
  • A few tablespoons of finely grated hard cheese – we used an aged goat gouda, but parmesan would work as well

Heat oil in large skillet over medium and toss in diced bacon. Cook until done and then transfer them to a paper towel. Add your diced apples or turnip to the pan that you cooked the bacon in and cook for about 2-4 minutes – until soft but not mushy. Heat butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot and stir 20 seconds. Add Brussels sprout leaves and sauté until leaves begin to soften but are still bright green, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat, drizzle with lemon juice and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl and sprinkle with bacon and nuts.

Serves 6 as a side

NOTE: If you are going to double the recipe, I’d advise cooking the sprouts in a couple batches – if you crowd the pan too much they create too much steam and by the time you get them all cooked, you’ll probably wind up with some over cooked leaves.

Connie November 22, 2009 at 7:45 am

I love brussels sprouts. When cooked the right way with the right ingredients (like your recipe), they’re so good. I really like the idea of serving it as a salad here, too.

Kristi Rimkus November 22, 2009 at 10:48 am

Terrific pictures. I love this recipe. Can’t wait to try it!

Zach November 23, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Looks great! To paraphrase Bittman… how brussels sprouts went from reviled vegetable to everyone’s fall favorite is one part bacon and one part mystery…

Talley November 23, 2009 at 3:40 pm

hah, I love it.

Jana November 25, 2009 at 10:52 am

Is there any reason I can’t just finely chop the sprouts (as I usually do) and then lightly saute? Looking to save time now, build character later.

Talley November 25, 2009 at 12:17 pm

haha, yes, yes. now is not the time for character building! now is the time for sprouts!
I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t finely chop as usual. . .

Beryl November 25, 2009 at 12:24 pm

What?! Not the time for character building?? Just pluck the leaves with a big glass of wine, that’s what I’m going to do, then it will be fun.
(Let us know how the chopping works though, cause if it’s good, I’ll do that next time and not waste my life plucking tiny leaves.)

Jana November 26, 2009 at 5:47 am

(hee-hee) Will do…Happy Thanksgiving you two! Send my love around the Bainbridge Island festivities!!! Oh, and wish me luck with the recipe. Because of limited space in Kathryn’s kitchen as well, I’m preparing before the 4 hour car ride to her house…

Coconut Recipes November 26, 2009 at 6:59 am

Looks delicious! Wonderful photos!

alecho November 27, 2009 at 2:40 am

wow! this is such a smart and creative combo! thanx for sharing the recipe! :)

Amanda November 28, 2009 at 6:47 am

We made this for Thanksgiving and it was awesome! Good thing we have more ingredients in the fridge to make another batch!

Glad to have found your blog recently. Great pics and ideas. Looking forward to trying out the Calvados/Pork dish soon!

Cucee Sprouts September 1, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I love Brussels Sprouts but I’ve never really had them “raw” until now. I love your recipe but I also want to share mine with you – my recipe is so simple but SOOO good!!! http://cuceesprouts.com/2010/09/shaved-brussels-sprouts-salad/