Gingerbread House 2009

by Beryl

in Methods,Time Lapse

This is a bit of a follow up post to the gingerbread houses we posted last week. Our 2009 house is an almost accurate rendition of our houseboat. When we finished it and it was sitting on the table, I realized that it looks like a very modern house from the 70′s – I think it’s the low slung roof… in any case, it’s more or less what our house looks like, and the fact is, this boat was built long before the 70s. As with all the videos here, this can be viewed in HD at vimeo.

As mentioned in the previous post, there are probably hundreds of recipes for gingerbread out there, I use this one because it’s quick and easy. The advantage of this dough is that you can use it right away, no refrigeration needed, and it’s takes less than 10 minutes to make. The drawbacks is that you really need to use it right away, it doesn’t do well once it sits around (although as noted in the directions, if the dough starts to firm up, just pop it in the microwave to warm it up a bit). This year, rather than melting hard candies into the window frames, I made the candy glass that you can see in the video. It was extremely easy. You’ll want a candy thermometer, but if you have that, I think making the glass is easier than buying. Actually, if you don’t have a thermometer, no biggie; people were making candy long before there were thermometers around to tell them when their sugar mixture was 300 degrees. I updated the last post with directions for candy glass, and how to tell if your bubbly sugar is hot enough, so look there for more info.

Connie December 9, 2009 at 8:31 pm

You guys never cease to amaze me. Love this video, so funny with the cat running around everywhere and the music is awesome. Nice touch with the wine glass and the icicles! Does placing the light inside involve very careful lifting or is there another trick?

Talley December 9, 2009 at 8:39 pm

thanks! getting the light inside requires only the forethought of cutting a backdoor! erm… beryl would like me to point out that it was less forethought, more fluke. you can see in the video that the far side wall has a door, technically our front door.

Lily December 10, 2009 at 12:58 pm

amazing video. Thanks for inspiring the holiday spirit and some giggles.

Talley December 10, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Hi Lily! Glad you liked it. happy holidays.

Nancy O December 10, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Really nice blog. Will you be posting the beef stroganoff recipe I just saw pictures of on Flickr? I was browsing for serving/plating ideas for my holiday party and there IT was… Beautiful!

Talley December 11, 2009 at 10:08 am

Haha… you caught that eh? I will try to post it for you very soon.

cathy December 10, 2009 at 6:07 pm

I’ve watched it several times, the last time just as enjoyable as the first, I might add, but I do not see when you add the “glass”. Am I missing it?

Cathy
ps. the wine glass is a good measure of time passing.

Talley December 11, 2009 at 10:10 am

You’re right! we didn’t shoot pictures of that unfortunately, so it didn’t make it in to the video. Unlike with the lifesaver technique, the candy glass Beryl made this year is poured into the “windows” after the gingerbread bakes. sadly, we neglected to get a couple shots.