Salsiccia all’Uva (Sausage with Grapes)

by Beryl

in Appetizers & Sides,Main Course,Pork,Quick

Cooking Grapes In the Zuni Cafe Cookbook, there is a recipe for quail and sausage braised with grapes. It is Judy Rodgers’ take on a Umbrian dish called Salsiccia all’Uva. The quail is an embellishment; the traditional dish is simply browned sausages nestled in a bed of cooked grapes, which is what we made. Ms. Rodgers wrote that the dish is traditionally made with wine grapes and is crunchy with their seeds, but at the Zuni Cafe, they forgo most of the seedy grapes and go for Black Emerald or Red Flame. For our dish, we just had to use what grapes we could find. We wound up with some red grapes, the variety of which I do not know. We went with red over green because the green ones were sweeter and, according to Rodgers, you want to pick grapes that are not too sweet.

Goat sausage with grapesThe dish was a big success. Absolutely simple, just three ingredients really, but still very, very fun to make and eat. Frying grapes is weirdly satisfying.  We used goat sausage in ours, but pork is more typical. Try to find sausage with fennel. This dish was part of a big goat dinner we made last week that was pretty fun. We made a goat sausage and farro soup and two different goat heart dishes. The soup was super and we’ll share it asap. The heart also was surprisingly good and we will definitely be dedicating some time and blog space to this topic soon.

Salsiccia all’Uva

Sausage with Grapes

• 1 to 1 1/2 pounds fresh Italian sausage
  • 4 cups seedless grapes
  • 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar or lemon juice

Place the sausages in a  large skillet and turn heat to medium. Cook sausages for about 15 minutes, turning from time to time. When they are brown all over, prick each sausage in a few places with a fork and cook for 5 minutes more (waiting until now to prick them will reduce fat splatter while cooking…).

When they are done, remove the sausages to a warm platter. Remove excess fat (you want a tablespoon or two in the pan) and add the grapes.  Turn up the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until some of the grapes collapse. Add vinegar or lemon juice, stir, and turn off the heat. Serve sausages nestled in grapes.

Serves 4

{ 1 trackback }

Houseboat Eats: Farro Soup with Sausage
February 7, 2010 at 2:01 pm

shasta swanson January 31, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Once again, I’m wishing I ate meat. Between you guys and the food at Paris Bakery Cafe where I work here in Anchorage, I sometimes think my days as a vegetarian are numbered… This sounds wonderful!

Have you ever made grape pie? Try it, it’s great!!! Straight grapes, or combine them with other fruits too, a bit of sugar, butter, flour in your best pie dough, and you’ve got a treat!

Connie February 1, 2010 at 7:45 am

The first time I had cooked grapes (aside from in a sauce) was sliced halves of it, green and red, tossed in olive oil and rosemary and roasted on slices of focaccia. I thought it would be weird, but it was so good. The grapes with the sausage and balsamic sounds like an awesome balance of flavors. I love the simplicity and focus on the ingredients. (I need to get to that restaurant someday.)

Can’t wait to read about the goat heart and soup!
.-= Connie´s last blog ..Settling In =-.

Talley February 1, 2010 at 8:24 am

oh that sounds really good too. I thought this might be weird as well, but yeah: turns out cooked grapes are delicious.

I think my first experience cooking grapes was probably the crazy flaming grape in the microwave trick. you ever try that?

Talley February 1, 2010 at 8:28 am

P.S. Connie, did you catch the carbon steel pan under the grapes there? We’re loving it!

Connie February 1, 2010 at 2:41 pm

That’s pretty cool with the flaming grape, never saw that before!

I did suspect that might be your new pan, looks like its on its way to being nicely seasoned. Glad you guys are enjoying it! (and thank you for the link :) )
.-= Connie´s last blog ..Settling In =-.

Zev Balsen February 4, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Una ricetta tipica! Ci piace con un po’ di pepe nero e un rametto di timo. Aspettiamo una ricetta romana…

Tokyo Terrace February 4, 2010 at 9:43 pm

What a beautifully simple recipe. I have really been trying to focus on recipes that use very few ingredients. There is something about uncomplicated recipes that can create the most flavorful dishes that stay true to the ingredients. It’s refreshing to see a recipe like yours. Thanks for sharing!

DocChuck February 5, 2010 at 10:48 am

What an intriguing dish. Although I do not care for Italian sausage (or at least, the traditional spices in Italian sausage), I am going to try this recipe.

Then maybe experiment with an Andouille sausage with some muscadines (seeded, of course).

Thanks for sharing.

amy February 6, 2010 at 8:05 am

pardon me for being ignorant but i have never heard of frying grapes and to pair it with sausages too. this is so very interesting:)

Talley February 6, 2010 at 8:24 am

you’re pardoned! it was a fun discovery for us too.

NudeFood February 10, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I never thought of serving grapes and sausage together until recently. We were in Brittany, France over the holidays and they served the most deliciously simple appetizer: a small black sausage sandwiched between hot grapes on a skewer. FANTASTIC! And now I’m happy to have a recipe that recreates it.

Divina February 28, 2010 at 6:22 am

This is an interesting recipe. I have never had grapes with sausages and even frying the grapes sound new to me but I’m willing to give it a try. The photo alone looks really good already.
.-= Divina´s last blog ..Gnocchi Party: Braised Beef Short Ribs Adobo on Potato Gnocchi =-.

codfish March 1, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I could see goat going really well with grapes. I made this a while ago but used pork sausage and green grapes, and the green were indeed too sweet. Didn’t use balsamic either, but that sounds great. :)
.-= codfish´s last blog ..Town House, Chilhowie, VA =-.